This two-hour intensive live webinar focuses on the simplest, most robust, and FREE toolsto get a site up and running in a day or less—often in one evening! You don’t have to know any code, understand any technical jargon, or have previous experience with websites or blogs. You also don’t need to own your own domain or have hosting, although advice will be given on those issues.
While several different site-building options will be discussed, this session offers a step-by-step tutorial on setting up a site using WordPress—a best-in-class system that underpins 1 of every 6 websites on the Internet. WordPress is free to use, open source, and continually improving.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- 5 simple services that help you create a codeless website, for free, in an hour or less (plus what services to avoid)
- Absolute must-have elements for every author site, even if you're unpublished
- The difference between a blog and a website, and whether or not you need a blog
- How to get started with WordPress, either at WordPress.com or on your own domain
- What WordPress themes are best to use, plus what premium themes you might consider investing in
- Basic and free WordPress plug-ins that you need, plus how to extend the functionality of your site with more advanced plug-ins
- How to add multimedia to your site (audio, video, photos, etc.)
- How to integrate social media sharing tools onto your site
- What site upgrades or additional features you might want that necessitate further investment
- An easy-to-understand explanation of domains and hosting (but you don't need to own a domain or have hosting to get started!)
- Common mistakes and pitfalls of websites and blogs
- When you should hire a professional designer or site developer, and how much you can expect to spend